Make our J Alexanders Mac and Cheese Recipe at home tonight for your family. With our Secret Restaurant Recipe your Mac & Cheese will taste just like J Alexanders’.
J Alexanders Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cubes Chicken Bouillon/base
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Cavatappi (also called cellentani or double elbows, is macaroni formed in a spiral tube shape with ridges)
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Butter — divided plus extra for greasing pan
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 1/2 small Red Onion — minced and sauteed in a bit of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced Garlic (sauteed with onion)
- 1 teaspoon Cholula Brand Hot Sauce (more if you prefer a spicy kick)
- 2 1/4 cups fresh grated Gruyere cheese divided
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese (Super expensive – but oh, so worth it!)
- Freshly ground Black Pepper (No extra Salt. There is plenty of Salt in the chicken stock, bouillon and cheese)
- 1/2 cup Panko
- Bring 6 cups chicken stock and 1 1/1 cubes chicken base/bouillon to rolling boil in medium saucepan.
- Add macaroni and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and put in large bowl, toss with olive pomace oil and lemon juice.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in heavy cream, half n half, and sour cream.
- Stir in sautéed onion and garlic mixture, , sugar and Tabasco.
- Simmer gently, stirring often, 15 minutes.
- Remain on low heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of Gruyere and Parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Stir in macaroni. Pour half of mixture into greased, deep 1 1/2-quart baking dish (or 3-4 ramekins) and sprinkle with 1/2 of remaining cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining macaroni and remaining cheese mixture.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1/2 cube chicken base in small skillet over medium heat.
- Add panko and toss to coat. (don’t brown in pan)
- Sprinkle buttered panko and over top of macaroni.
- Bake at 350: F. until panko is lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 4 servings.
The Mac + Cheese Cookbook 50 Simple Recipes from Homeroom, America’s Favorite Mac and Cheese Restaurant
Macaroni and cheese is one of America’s favorite comfort foods, beloved by kids and adults alike. But there’s no need to rely on prefab mixes—all you need is a handful of kitchen staples, some tasty cheese, and a little insider advice courtesy of Homeroom restaurant. This perennially popular Oakland, California, eatery—with its entire menu devoted to mac and cheese—now shares its secrets for the best-ever mac recipes.
These inventive dishes offer something for everyone: nostalgic homestyle recipes like Tuna Mac, international varieties like Sriracha Mac, decadent delights like Truffle Mac, and even the logic-defying Vegan Mac. You’ll also find recipes for quick veggie sides like Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and old-school desserts like frozen Peanut Butter Pie.
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
Photo of Mac n’ Cheeese is by Helen Graves – Food Stories – http://helengraves.co.uk/ and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0) License. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Buttons below to SHARE our J Alexanders Mac and Cheese Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!