Make our Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins Recipe at home tonight for your family. Our Secret Restaurant Recipe for their Chicken n Dumplins tastes just like Cracker Barrel’s.
Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins Recipe
- 4 – 5 pounds Chicken Pieces (Try to get a good selection of both white and dark meat pieces)
- 2 quarts Water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt, divided, to taste
- 2 stalks Celery, with leaves, chopped
- 1 large Onion, with skin, chopped in quarter
- 2 clove Garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Shortening
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- In a Dutch Oven place the chicken pieces, water, 1 teaspoon salt, celery, onion and garlic.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 – 2 hours or until the chicken is falling off the bones.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and set aside to cool.
- Strain the stock to remove the veggies and scum. Discard those and save the clear broth.
- When the chicken has cooled enough to handle comfortably, skin and bone the chicken and remove any fat and gristle. Cut or tear the meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Make the Dumplin’s – In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the shortening, then add the buttermilk, a little at a time, stirring with a fork until just moistened.
- Let the dough rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth back to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Place the dough on a floured counter-top, knead 4 to 5 times, and then roll or pat to a thickness of about 1/2-inch.
- Carefully cut or pinch off 1/2-inch square pieces of the dough and drop into boiling broth
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the gravy has reached the desired consistency, stir in the chicken and serve.
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
With a drive to preserve the heritage foods of the South, Brock cooks dishes that are ingredient-driven and reinterpret the flavors of his youth in Appalachia and his adopted hometown of Charleston. The recipes include all the comfort food (think food to eat at home) and high-end restaurant food (fancier dishes when there’s more time to cook) for which he has become so well-known.
Brock’s interpretation of Southern favorites like Pickled Shrimp, Hoppin’ John, and Chocolate Alabama Stack Cake sit alongside recipes for Crispy Pig Ear Lettuce Wraps, Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder with Tomato Gravy, and Baked Sea Island Red Peas.
This is a very personal book, with headnotes that explain Brock’s background and give context to his food and essays in which he shares his admiration for the purveyors and ingredients he cherishes.
“A celebration of Southern ingredients. Highly recommended.” – Library Journal
“Modern down-home cuisine.” – InStyle
Click HERE Now to Get Heritage
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Biscuits
- More Coming Soon
- More Coming Soon
Photo of Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins is by adinaplus and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) License. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Buttons below to SHARE our Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!