Make our Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins Recipe at home tonight for your family. Our Secret Restaurant Recipe for their Chicken n Dumplins tastes just like Cracker Barrel’s.
Photo by Adinaplus
Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins
Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins Recipe
- 4 - 5 pounds Chicken Pieces Try to get a good selection of both white and dark meat pieces
- 2 quarts Water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt divided, to taste
- 2 stalks Celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 large Onion with skin, chopped in quarter
- 2 clove Garlic crushed or minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Shortening
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- In a Dutch Oven place the chicken pieces, water, 1 teaspoon salt, celery, onion and garlic.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 - 2 hours or until the chicken is falling off the bones.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and set aside to cool.
- Strain the stock to remove the veggies and scum. Discard those and save the clear broth.
- When the chicken has cooled enough to handle comfortably, skin and bone the chicken and remove any fat and gristle. Cut or tear the meat into bite-sized pieces.
Make the Dumplins
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the shortening, then add the buttermilk, a little at a time, stirring with a fork until just moistened.
- Let the dough rest for 5 - 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth back to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Place the dough on a floured counter-top, knead 4 to 5 times, and then roll or pat to a thickness of about 1/2-inch.
- Carefully cut or pinch off 1/2-inch square pieces of the dough and drop into boiling broth
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the gravy has reached the desired consistency, stir in the chicken and serve.
Follow Us to Get ALL of Our Latest Recipes
With a drive to preserve the heritage foods of the South, Brock cooks dishes that are ingredient-driven and reinterpret the flavors of his youth in Appalachia and his adopted hometown of Charleston. The recipes include all the comfort food (think food to eat at home) and high-end restaurant food (fancier dishes when there’s more time to cook) for which he has become so well-known.
Brock’s interpretation of Southern favorites like Pickled Shrimp, Hoppin’ John, and Chocolate Alabama Stack Cake sit alongside recipes for Crispy Pig Ear Lettuce Wraps, Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder with Tomato Gravy, and Baked Sea Island Red Peas.
This is a very personal book, with headnotes that explain Brock’s background and give context to his food and essays in which he shares his admiration for the purveyors and ingredients he cherishes.
“A celebration of Southern ingredients. Highly recommended.” – Library Journal
“Modern down-home cuisine.” – InStyle
Click HERE Now to Get Heritage
Get All New Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes as Soon as We Publish Them
Just Follow Us on on Your Favorite Social Media Sites and Never Miss a New Recipe.
Stay in Touch, Get More Recipes from All of Our Sites and Help Us Spread the Word about Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes to All Your Friends.
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Biscuits Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake Recipe
- Popeyes Extra-Crispy Spicy Fried Chicken Recipe
- Applebee’s Grilled Chicken Wonton Tacos Recipe
- Applebee’s Tequila Lime Chicken with Mexi-Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill Champagne Chicken
- TGI Friday’s Sizzling Chicken and Cheese Recipe
- Marco Pierre White’s Chicken Chasseur
- Applebee’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Burger King Chicken Fries Recipe
- Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ruby Tuesday Chicken Quesadillas Restaurant Recipe
- Cafe Rio Chicken Recipe
- Applebee’s Santa Fe Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe
- Panda Express Orange Chicken Recipe
- … MORE Great Recipes Coming Soon!
Photo of Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins is by Adinaplus and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) License. Thank you, Adinaplus. Great Picture. Photos may be “representative” of the recipe and not the actual finished dish. All photo licenses listed were correct at the time of the posting of the page. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Email Buttons below to SHARE our Cracker Barrel Chicken n Dumplins Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!