Make our Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies Recipe at home tonight for your family. With our Secret Restaurant Recipe your Hush Puppies will taste just like Long John’s.
A couple of notes about the recipe –
- Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies do contain onion. Some traditional Southern hush puppies recipes do, some don’t. Some people like onion, some don’t. You can leave it out — but Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies do contain onion.
- There is no salt (other than Garlic Salt) or pepper listed in the recipe because there is none added to the Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies mixed in the store (according to all our sources.) This recipe is quick and easy to make, so you may want to use a little trial and error here before you make it for a party or for guests. We like ours with just a smidge of both.
Southern fish houses have the best hush puppies. And onion rings. That’s not a note – just our personal opinion. But…we are right. 😉
Battered Fish Recipes
Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add egg and milk.
- Stir well. Should be the consistency of bread batter. If too thin add more corn meal or flour.
- Drop by teaspoonful into hot grease.
- Cook until brown.
- Remove from grease with a slotted metal spoon and drain on a paper towel
Plain ol’ Ketchup is a really dipping sauce for these Hush Puppies. It goes especially well with the onion flavor.
We also love to dip our Hush Puppies into Tartar Sauce — since we usually enjoy them at Fish Houses. Here are a couple of good recipes for you to dip your Pups in:
Southern Fried: More Than 150 recipes for Crab Cakes, Fried Chicken, Hush Puppies, and More
Like every one of James Villas’s cookbooks, this one is impeccably researched, with flawless recipes, history, and culture. It is filled with gorgeous color photos sure to tempt even health food fanatics, with crispy, crunchy delights in chapters featuring eggs and cheese, seafood, breads, and Southern staples like grits, rice, and potatoes. Today’s deep fryers make frying easier and healthier than ever; it’s as easy as pushing a button, with no risk of splattering oil, and Villas’s expertly written recipes like Sassy Shrimp Puffs, Georgia Bacon and Eggs with Hominy, Country Fried Steak, Turkey Hash Cakes, and Rosemary Pork Chops will ensure perfect results.
This isn’t diet food, to be sure, but these are dishes that people love, and it’s safer and healthier than ever to fry without any sacrifice in flavor.
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
- Long John Silver’s Battered Fish
- More Coming Soon
- More Coming Soon
Photo of Hush Puppies is by Joshua Bousel – http://www.meatwave.com/blog.php – and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0) License. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Buttons below to SHARE our Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!