Make our Chicago-Style Italian Sausage And Pepper Deep Dish Pizza Recipe at home tonight for your family. With our Secret Restaurant Recipe your Deep Dish Pizza will taste just like those you get from Giordano’s, Pizzeria Uno’s, Lou Malnati’s, Gino’s, Rosati’s and many other famous Chicago Culinary Landmarks.
There are more great Pizza Places in Chicago than any other city I have ever been to and no trip to the windy city is complete with stopping in at one of the legendary Deep Dish Pizzerias.
Chicago is the Birthplace of the Deep Dish Pizza. That’s reason enough to love Chicago.
Chicago-Style Italian Sausage And Pepper Deep Dish Pizza Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 Cup Thinly sliced yellow onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Cup Thinly sliced green bell peppers
- 1 Pound Italian sausage links; cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Recipe Basic Pizza Dough (recipe follows)
- 12 Ounce Grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 Cup Tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the sausage and render for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Divide the dough in half and roll into a 14-inch circle, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Press the dough into 2 greased 12-inch deep-dish pizza pans. Sprinkle each pizza with 6 ounces of the grated cheese.
- Spoon 1/2 of the onion and pepper mixture over each pizza. Sprinkle 1/2 of the sausage over the onion mixture on each pizza.
- Spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce over the top of each pizza.
- Sprinkle each pizza with 1 tablespoon of oregano. Bake the pizzas for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and cut into individual servings.
Basic Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm Water
- 1 package active dry Yeast
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the water, yeast, and 1 1/2 cups of the flour in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the oil, salt, and remaining flour.
- With large wooden spoon or your hands mix the ingredients together until the dough holds its shape. You may need a bit less flour, so add the last half gradually.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. If the dough becomes sticky, sprinkle a bit more flour over it.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled 2-quart bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel, and let the dough rest until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- When the dough has risen, place it on a lightly floured surface, divide it into two or more parts and roll them into balls.
- Cover them with a towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- The dough is ready to be shaped, topped and cooked.
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
Photo of Chicago Deep Dish Pizza (this one is from Giordano’s) is by Alvin Trusty – http://www.trustyetc.com/trustyblog/ – and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC 2.0) License. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Buttons below to SHARE our Chicago-Style Italian Sausage And Pepper Deep Dish Pizza Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!