Creamy Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is served on every plate lunch at L&L Hawaiian Barbecue. Our Secret Restaurant Recipe for their Macaroni Salad tastes just like L&L Hawaiian Barbecue’s.
Photo by Mark
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue
Our specialty is a unique style of Hawaiian plate lunch, featuring two scoops of rice, a hemisphere of creamy macaroni salad, and a generous helping of an aloha-infused hot entrée.
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue is a Hawaiian-themed restaurant chain based in Honolulu, Hawaii, centered on the Hawaiian plate lunch.
Plate lunch – also known as “the state food of Hawaii” – dates back to wage laborers in 19th century sugar plantations and pineapple fields, who brought rice and other leftovers to work in compartmentalized tins. Lunches were often shared, resulting in a harmonious mix of home recipes from Japan, China, the Philippines, Portugal, Korea, and even New England.
In the early years, L&L Hawaiian Barbecue was a successful chain of drive-in restaurants with a reputation for serving fresh plate lunches throughout the Hawaiian islands. In late 1999, our founders – Johnson Kam and Eddie Flores, Jr. – introduced their signature, Asian and American fusion take on the classic plate lunch to the residents of California. Since then, the concept has found fans around the world and today there are close to 200 L&L Hawaiian Barbecue restaurants around the world.
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue Macaroni Salad Recipe
Hawaiian Macaroni salad is a must-have on Hawaii-style plate lunches. Typically served with a couple mounds of white rice, Hawaii-style barbecue chicken or beef and, often, a piece or two of locally caught seafood.
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1/2 pound dried Elbow Macaroni
- 1 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely minced Onion
- 1/4 cup shredded Carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, onion, carrot and white pepper. Mix well.
- Taste. Add salt, to taste.
- Fold in cooled macaroni. Stir to combine.
- Place in a tightly sealed container, in the refrigerator, for at least 2 hours to chill.
- Remove from refrigerator and stir to refresh. Serve cold.
Hawaiian Plate Lunch-Style Creamy Macaroni Salad
Hawaiian Plate Lunch-Style Creamy Macaroni Salad is a creamy delight made with a sweetened mayonnaise-based dressing, grated carrots and finely diced onions for added flavor and texture. This delicious salad is served all over the Hawaiian Islands everyday in traditional Hawaiian Plate Lunches.
Hawaiian Plate Lunches are a unique tradition native to the Island State. Typically featuring a hearty and diverse combination of main dishes, such as teriyaki chicken, kalua pork or loco moco and served with two scoops of rice and macaroni salad, they reflect the cultural blend of Hawaii’s diverse culinary influences.
Get Notified of All New Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes
Sign-up for our FREE Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes Emails and Never Miss a New Recipe.
NOW With 2 Ways to Get Emails on YOUR Schedule – Daily or One Email per Week.
And Please Follow Us on Your Favorite Social Sites
You’ll Stay in Touch, Get More Recipes from All of Our Sites and Help Us Spread the Word about Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes to All Your Friends.
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
- Olive Garden Salad and Dressing Recipe
- Applebee’s Wonton Tacos
- California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Pizza
- KFC Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Checkers / Rally’s Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Cheesecake Factory Luau Salad
- Cosi Signature Salad Recipe
- Benihana Ginger Salad Dressing Recipe
- Kraft Catalina French Salad Dressing Recipe
- Famous Dave’s Shakin’ the Shack Potato Salad Recipe
- Golden Corral Seafood Salad Recipe
- Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Recipe
- J. Alexander’s Orzo and Wild Rice Salad Recipe
- O’Charley’s Pecan Chicken Tender Salad Recipe
- Suddenly Salad Ranch and Bacon Pasta Salad Recipe
- The Original Brown Derby Cobb Salad Recipe
- Homemade Totino’s Pizza Rolls Recipe
- … MORE Great Recipes Coming Soon!
Photo of L&L Hawaiian Barbecue Macaroni Salad is by Mark and is free to use and share under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) License. Information about L&L Hawaiian Barbecue, Hawaiian Barbecue and Hawaiian Plate Lunches courtesy of L&L Hawaiian Barbecue and is used under the fair-use doctrine and Wikipedia and is used by permission. Recipe is an adaption of a recipe found in numerous places on the web. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Email Buttons below to SHARE this Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!