Make our Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Onion Soup Recipe at home tonight for your family. With our Secret Restaurant Recipe your French Onion Soup will taste just like Outback’s.
Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Onion Soup Recipe
Make sure to use sweet onions in this recipe to get the best and most authentic taste.
- 2 cups Yellow Sweet Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 (15 ounce) cans Chicken Broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh Black Pepper, ground
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1/4 cup Velveeta Cheese, cubes or shredded (compressed in measuring cup)
- 1 1/2-1 3/4 cups Thick White Sauce (see below)
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded (for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- In 2 quart sauce pan place 3 tablespoons butter and sliced onions.
- Cook at low to medium heat stirring frequently until soft and clear but not brown.
- Add chicken broth from can, chicken bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and stir until completely heated through.
- Add white sauce and Velveeta cheese. White sauce will be thick because it has been removed from the heat. Simmer on medium low heat until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly.
- Turn temperature to warm and let cook for additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese, and a couple of slices of warm dark Russian Bread.
Thick White Sauce
- In a 1 quart sauce pan melt butter and add flour, cook on medium heat until the flour turns thick and comes away from the sides of the sauce pan.
- Pour milk in flour a little at a time and stir constantly, add salt. Mixture should thicken and become like thick pudding.
- Remember to stir constantly taking care not to let mixture lump, set aside off from heat until ready to use for the soup.
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
Photo of French Onion Soup is by She Who Shall Not Be Named and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) License. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Buttons below to SHARE our Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Onion Soup Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!