Make our KFC Original Recipe Chicken at home tonight for your family. Our Secret Restaurant Recipe tastes just like KFC’s.
Colonel Harland David Sanders, the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken and originator of the famous chicken recipe, claimed that there were 11 secret herbs and spices in his breading. To this day the coating is packaged and shipped ready to use to the restaurants. Rumor has it that it is packaged in 3 different locations so that no single person can know the whole recipe. Supposedly the recipe is locked in a vault at KFC headquarters (YUM! Brands) in Louisville, KY.
Well…Maybe. Maybe not.
I can’t vouch for the vault, that’s probably true. But many former workers, usually anonymously, refute the claim that the Original Recipe coating is packaged in three different places.
KFC Original Recipe Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole Chicken, cut into 8 pieces — or 8 – 12 of Your Favorite Chicken Pieces
- 3 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 envelope of Powdered Tomato Soup Mix
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Salt
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried Parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery Salt
- Oil, for frying, enough to cover the bottom of a skillet
- More Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add 2/3 cup milk and whisk to blend. Set aside
- In a second large bowl, combine the flour, tomato soup mix, bicarbonate of soda, garlic salt, onion powder, sugar, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, basil thyme and celery salt. Mix well.
- Take a piece of chicken and dip it into the egg/milk mixture.
- Then place it in the flour mixture move it around until it is well-coated with flour. Set this piece aside and repeat this process for the remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until it shimmers but doesn’t smoke, about 350°F.
- Using tongs, carefully place the chicken pieces skin-side down into the skillet and fry them over medium heat.
- Fry for about 25 to 30 minutes, turning and flipping occasionally.
- Remove the pieces from the skillet and drain the grease onto paper towel-covered plates.
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
- KFC Cole Slaw
- KFC Gravy
- KFC Grilled Chicken
- KFC Honey Barbecued Wings
- KFC Macaroni Salad
- KFC Mac and Cheese
- More Coming Soon
Recipe courtesy of WikiHow.com and used by permission under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) License. Photo of KFC Original Recipe Chicken is by lesleyk and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) License. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Buttons below to SHARE our KFC Original Recipe Chicken Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!