Make our P.F. Chang’s General Tso Chicken Recipe at home tonight for your family. With our Secret Restaurant Recipe your General Tso Chicken will taste just like P.F. Chang’s.
Photo by jensteele
General Tso Chicken – Everyone’s Favorite “American” Chinese Dish
If you ask for General Tso Chicken outside the major cities in China (where the influx of American tourists have made it necessary to include on most menues) the waiter will probably look at you like you are crazy.
Why? Because General Tso Chicken is not a traditional Chinese dish. It was invented in American Chinese restaurants for Americans. And not only is the dish almost completely unknown in China, but the General that the dish may or may not be named after is such a minor character in Chinese history that most Chinese have never heard of him.
Imagine if one of your guests, out of the blue, were to asked you to make some Hagood Chicken for them and you get some idea of the confusion your waiter is feeling. (Johnson Hagood was a Brigadier General in the South Carolina State Militia during the American Civil War – and as far as I know there is no chicken dish named after him. Yet. 😉 )
Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of this page after you read (and make!) P.F. Chang’s General Tso Chicken Recipe. There are TWO MORE delicious General Tso Chicken Recipes for you to try.
P.F. Chang’s General Tso Chicken
P.F. Chang's General Tso Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh Garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh Ginger
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry Sherry or White Wine
- 1 can condensed Chicken Broth
- 3 pounds boneless skinless Chicken, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 8 small dried Red Chiles stems and seeds removed
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- 2 quarts Vegetable Oil for deep-frying plus 1 tablespoon for stir-frying
- 2 cups sliced Scallions green onions
- Fried Rice or Steamed Rice for serving
- Put everything in a quart jar with a lid and shake it up, then put in the fridge. Just shake it up again when you are ready to use it.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, soy sauce, and hot peppers. Stir in the egg. Add the cornstarch and mix until all the chicken pieces are well coated. (It will look awful at this point.)
- Heat the deep-frying oil to 350°F in a large pot. Cover a large platter with a few layers of paper towels.
- Set aside the chiles. Deep-fry 7 or 8 chicken pieces at a time until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until all the chicken chunks are fried.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a wok and heat until very hot. Add the scallions and chiles and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Shake the sauce to recombine, then pour it into the wok. Cook until thick. If it gets too thick, add water until it’s the right consistency. Add the chicken to the sauce and cook until everything is hot and bubbly. Serve with fried or steamed rice.
Another “General Tso Chicken” Recipe for You to Try:
On Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes Pinterest Page Food Network Star, Sunny Anderson, makes a killer version of General Tso Chicken. She calls it Airman Anderson Chicken – and you can find a link to it on our Pinterest Page (Click the Link Below). Be sure to “Follow” us while your are there for even MORE Recipes.
And One More Homemade General Tso Chicken Video Recipe for You to Try:
Photo by avlxyz
Video Courtesy of Cooking With Kai
Get More Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes
Sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We send out Additional Email-Only Copycat Restaurant Recipes each week. Sign up NOW to get EVERY RECIPE.
And Please Follow Us on Your Favorite Social Sites
You’ll Stay in Touch, Get More Recipes from All of Our Sites and Help Us Spread the Word about Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes to All Your Friends.
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
- P.F. Chang’s China Bistro Crispy Honey Chicken
- P.F. Chang’s General Tso Chicken
- P. F. Chang’s Dan Dan Noodles Recipe
- P.F. Chang’s China Bistro Cantonese Stir Fry Sauce Recipe
- P.F. Chang’s Lettuce Wraps with Chicken Recipe
- Panda Express Chow Mein Recipe
- Panda Express Cream Cheese Rangoons Recipe
- Panda Express Orange Chicken Recipe
- Panda Express SweetFire Chicken Breast Recipe
- … MORE Great Recipes Coming Soon!
Photo of P.F. Chang’s General Tso Chicken Home Recipe is by jensteele and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) License. Photo of General Tso Chicken is by avlxyz and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0) License. Original Video can be found at How to make General Tso’ Chicken. Photos may be “representative” of the recipe and not the actual finished dish. All photo licenses listed were correct at the time of the posting of the page. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Email Buttons below to SHARE our P.F. Chang’s General Tso Chicken Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!