Make our A&W Chili Dog Restaurant Recipe at home tonight for your family. With our Secret Restaurant Recipe your Chili Dogs will taste just like A&W’s.
I have been going to A&W since my Dad and Mom took me and my brother at nights in our PJ’s. They still had Carhops back then and we’d enjoy a cold frosty mug of Root Beer on summer nights about once a week.
I never stopped going. Though now I have to go through the drive-up window. And I DON’T go in my PJ’s. Though…Come to think of it… I guess I could. 🙂
Apparently they have food too. Who knew?
A&W Chili Dogs
- 1 Sabrett brand 2 ounce Beef Frankfurter (7 1/2-inches long)
- 1 regular Hot Dog Roll
- 3 tablespoons A&W Coney Island Sauce (See recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon chopped White Onion
- 1/2 tablespoon Kraft Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
A&W Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce
- 1 pound Ground Chuck
- 1 six ounce can Hunts Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Prepared Yellow Mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried, minced Onion
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin (heaping)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
Making the A&W Chili Dog Sauce:
- In a 2 qt. saucepan, brown the ground chuck, breaking into very small pieces. Salt and pepper lightly while cooking. Do not drain the fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 30−45 minutes until it thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate until “Dog−Time”. You’ll be microwaving what you need later.
Cooking your A&W Chili Dog
- Bring a 2 qt. saucepan of water to a rolling boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add the desired number of frankfurters to the water. Cover and let sit about 10 minutes.
- After the franks are done, microwave the chili dog sauce until steaming. (Only microwave what you need, save the rest) Then microwave each hot dog roll 10 seconds….just enough to warm.
Nostalgia Electrics Vintage Collection Old Fashioned Hot Dog Roller
The Nostalgia Electrics Vintage Collection Old Fashioned Hot Dog Roller provides a fun family experience. It’s perfect for kids, office lunches and while having parties or watching sporting events. This unit holds up to eight regular-sized hot dogs or four foot-long hot dogs at one time. Featuring a convenient bun storage warmer in the whimsical Canopy Top, it’s a great all-in-one solution to enjoy hot dogs anytime!
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
Photo of the A&W Chili Dog is by Jeffery W. and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) License. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Buttons below to SHARE our A&W Chili Dog Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!