Make this Straight-From-the-Restaurant The Flying Biscuit Café Shrimp and Grits Recipe at home. A Southern Favorite Recipe from one of the South’s Favorite Restaurants.
Photo by aimee castenell
The Flying Biscuit Café Shrimp and Grits
A The Flying Biscuit Café Copycat Recipe
The Flying Biscuit Café grates Sharp White Cheddar Cheese into its Grits. The creamy, silky grits are then layered with savory Shrimp cooked in a variety of spices and seasonings, including Paprika, Worcestershire Sauce and Hot Sauce.
Restaurants love to share their recipes with their fans so they can cook and enjoy their favorite dishes at home – And we love to share them with you. Alton has spent hours tracking down these recipes. We are proud that we can help the restaurants share these recipes with our fans.
The Flying Biscuit Café Shrimp and Grits from 2020 is a Straight-From-the-Restaurant Recipe.
The Flying Biscuit Café Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- 6 cups Water
- 2 cups Half-and-Half
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
- 2 cups Quick-Cooking Grits
- 1/2 cup grated Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 4 tablespoons cubed Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup diced Onion
- 1/2 cup diced Celery
- 1/2 cup diced Carrots
- One 14 1/2 ounce can diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup diced Roasted Red Bell Peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup Basil cut chiffonade
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 pounds Shrimp peeled and deveined, tails left on (as stated in The Flying Biscuit Café shared recipe) or removed (as we like to do).
- In medium saucepan, combine water, half-and-half, salt and white pepper.
- Place on stovetop over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Slowly pour grits into boiling water while whisking entire time to prevent bottom from scorching.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook, continuing to whisk often, until thick and completely smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in cheddar cheese until melted. Whisk again to combine.
- Turn heat off and allow grits to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add butter. Stir until completely melted, smooth and silky.
- In deep sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- When oil is hot and shimmering, add garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, roasted red peppers, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, basil, black pepper and salt. Stir to incorporate spices. Reduce heat to medium-low heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add prepared shrimp. Continue to cook over medium-low heat about 4 minutes, until shrimp are pink and tails curl. Do not leave shrimp unattended so as to not overcook.
Shrimp and Grits
- Ladle hot creamy grits into individual serving bowls.
- Ladle hot shrimp with some sauce over grits.
- Serve hot.
Get More Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes
Sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We send out Additional Email-Only Copycat Restaurant Recipes each week. Sign up NOW to get EVERY RECIPE.
And Please Follow Us on Your Favorite Social Sites
You’ll Stay in Touch, Get More Recipes from All of Our Sites and Help Us Spread the Word about Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes to All Your Friends.
Photo of “shrimp and grits” is by aimee castenell and is used by permission under the Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0) Creative Commons License. Read the Full License Here – https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/legalcode. Thank you, aimee castenell. Great Picture. Photos may be “representative” of the recipe and not the actual finished dish. All photo licenses listed were correct at the time of the posting of the page. Recipe courtesy of The Flying Biscuit Café, found on the websites Foodservice Director and WBRC TV 6, Birmingham, AL, among others. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Email Buttons below to SHARE this Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!