Make our Popeye’s Jambalaya Recipe at home tonight for your family. Popeyes’ version of the Traditional Southern Cajun Favorite is spot on – exactly as you would expect from the Louisiana Kitchen.
Photo by Willis Lam
A Popeye’s Copycat Recipe
Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen
In Alvin C. Copeland Sr., opens “Chicken on the Run” in New Orleans, LA serving traditional Southern-fried chicken. After several months of lackluster performance, he reopens the restaurant as “Popeyes”. This time he sells spicy, New Orleans-style chicken. In 1983 Popeyes introduced their immensely popular Buttermilk Biscuits.
Popeyes is named after Popeye Doyle of The French Connection, not the popular cartoon character.
The name is spelled “Popeyes”, without the apostrophe commonly used by other restaurant chains such as McDonald’s and Hardee’s. Copeland claimed facetiously that he was “too poor” to afford an apostrophe. 😉
As of 2018 the were 3,102 Popeyes in the US and around the world.
Popeye's Jambalaya Recipe
- 2 cups Enriched White Rice
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray as needed
- 3 boneless, skinless Chicken Breast Halves cut into cubes
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 3 Andouille Sausages or other Spicy Sausages diced
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2 ribs Celery chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 2 Bay Leaves fresh or dried
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- One 14-ounce can Diced Tomatoes in Juice
- One 14-ounce can Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Powder to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder to taste
- 1 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Scallions chopped fine
- Fresh Thyme chopped, for garnish
- Cook rice to package directions. Set aside.
- Liberally spray a large, deep skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place skillet over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken cubes with salt and pepper, to taste.
- When skillet is hot, add chicken. Brown, stirring, for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add diced sausage. Cook, stirring, for 2 - 3 minutes more.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and bay leaves. Sauté vegetables about 5 minutes, until they soften a bit.
- Sprinkle flour over the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 - 2 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice and broth.
- Season with cayenne pepper, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, poultry seasoning and Worcestershire sauce, all to taste.
- Bring liquids to a boil.
- Remove skillet from the heat.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Gradually mix in rice, stirring to mix well.
- Allow to sit a few minutes.
- Mix in chopped scallions.
- Place in a serving dish and garnish with thyme.
- Serve hot.
Get More Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes
Sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We send out Additional Email-Only Copycat Restaurant Recipes each week. Sign up NOW to get EVERY RECIPE.
And Please Follow Us on Your Favorite Social Sites
You’ll Stay in Touch, Get More Recipes from All of Our Sites and Help Us Spread the Word about Secret Copycat Restaurant Recipes to All Your Friends.
Photo of “Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen Jambalaya” is by Willis Lam and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) License. Photo of “Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen” by Mike Mozart and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) License. Read the Full License Here – https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/legalcode. Thank you, Willis and Mike. Great Pictures. Photos may be “representative” of the recipe and not the actual finished dish. All photo licenses listed were correct at the time of the posting of the page. Recipe is our adaption of several recipes formally widely-circulated on the internet – courtesy of the Wayback Machine. Popeyes information courtesy of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen and Wikipedia, where it is used by permission. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Email Buttons below to SHARE this Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!