Grilled Vidalia Onions with Bacon Butter
Recipe courtesy The Neelys and their Southern Cooking Food Network Show: Down Home With the Neelys.
Full recipe is below the video.
Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
The Neelys’ down-home approach to cooking has earned them the highest accolades from coast to coast. It has also won them millions of viewers on the Food Network. Simply put, the Neelys are all about good food and good times. In this, their eagerly awaited debut cookbook, the Neelys share the delicious food they have been cooking up for years both at home and in their restaurants.
Pat and Gina hail from families with a boundless love of cooking and bedrock traditions of sharing meals. At the Neelys’, mealtime is family time, and that means no stinting on “the sauce.” Indeed, that’s one of the Neely secrets: the liberal application of barbeque sauce to almost anything—spaghetti, nachos, salad, you name it. Of course, there are other secrets as well, and you will find them all in the pages of Down Home with the Neelys, along with more than 120 mouthwatering recipes.
Here are the tried-and-true southern recipes that have been passed down from one Neely generation to the next, including many of their signature dishes, such as Barbeque Deviled Eggs, Florida Coast Pickled Shrimp, Pat’s Wings of Fire, Gina’s Collard Greens, Grandma Jean’s Potato Salad, Nana’s Southern Gumbo, Memphis-sized Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Slaw, Get Yo’ Man Chicken, and Sock-It-to-Me Cake. Certainly, no self-respecting southerner would dream of offering a meal to a guest without a proper drink, so Pat and Gina have included some of their favorite libations here, too.
Grilled Vidalia Onions with Bacon Butter Recipe
- 4 large Vidalia Onions
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 stick unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 3 slices Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup crumbled Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped Thyme Leaves
- Special equipment: Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Cut onion top and “backtail” so onion can sit flat. Peel the onion. Using a paring knife cut a hollow cone-like shape into the center of the onion making sure not to go all the way to the bottom. Salt and pepper the cavity.
- Place onions on individual squares of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Add the butter, bacon, blue cheese, and thyme to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add large dollops of the butter to each cavity of the onions. Fold the aluminum foil all around the onion, gathering at the top and sealing to create a tent.
- Place on the grill over direct heat and cover the grill. Cook for 30 minutes until onions are soft. Let cool for 5 minutes before opening the foil packet and serving.
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
Photo of Fire is by Dionysus63 and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0) License. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.