You see them at any large get event that has concession trailers and booths. Amusement parks, concerts, ball games, county and state fairs, auto races and more.
Hundreds of people walking around gnawing on what looks like the barbecued leg of a dinosaur.
They are, of course, Smoked Turkey Legs .
And you see so many because they are delicious.
Another reason you see them everywhere is that they are easy to make if you have a grill and a little patience.
Imagine what a hit these would be at your next party or get-together. How about at your son or daughters ballgame as a treat for the kids and parents? Or at an overnight camping trip? You could even make and sell them as a fund raiser for your team or club.
We have a copycat recipe of the ones they make at Disneyland. Check out the video and complete recipe below and then let your imagination run wild. Be sure to let us know what you come up with by leaving a comment below.
Video Courtesy of Chef Tips with Chef Jason Hill
Disneyland Smoked Turkey Legs Recipe
NOTES – This recipe requires brining overnight. Be sure to start a day before you want to serve these.
This recipe makes enough brine for 4 – 6 turkey legs but it is very easy to double, triple or more.
You’ll need a good BBQ Rub for this recipe. There are some good ones to be found in any large supermarket, often near the spices and/or the BBQ sauces, or you can easily make your own. Mark helps run The Weekend Grillers BBQ and Grilling website — So you know we have a few recipes for some superior rubs. Look for the links below the recipe.
- 4 – 6 Turkey Large Legs (ask your butcher for the largest size he or she can get)
- BBQ Rub – Store-bought or Make Your Own with the recipes below
- 2 cups Warm Water
- 1/2 cup (scant) Seasoned Meat Tenderizer
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tablespoon red Hawaiian Clay Sea Salt (or regular Kosher Salt or Sea Salt)
- 1/4 cup Soft Brown Sugar
- 4 Bay Leaves
- Peppercorns, as desired
- 8 cups Cold Water
- Mix together all of the brine ingredients. Add the 8 cups of cold water last.
- Put two turkey legs each in a large Ziploc bag and cover with the brine.
- Repeat with other 4 turkey legs. You will have enough brine to make about 6 turkey legs.
- Zip bags tight and place in a large casserole dish and let sit overnight in the refrigerator, up to 12 hours or so. Be sure the brine is touching the legs, and you can turn them around once in a while during the brining stage to ensure complete coverage.
- When you are ready to smoke the legs, set your smoker to about 220°F.
- Drain the legs from the brine, rinse the legs lightly under cool running water and pat dry.
- Season with your favorite BBQ Rub.
- Smoke for about 4 hours at 225°F. Bring the temperature down to 180°F for the last hour, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. When you remove the turkey legs, they will continue to cook up to the proper 165°F.
Homemade BBQ Rubs Recipes
— COMING SOON —
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We’ll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You’ll love it.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Click on any Name below for the Recipe
Photo of Disneyland Smoked Turkey Legs is taken from the video. Original Video can be found at Smoked Turkey Legs Recipe – Disneyland Smoked Turkey Legs. Photo of Girl Eating a Turkey Leg by Danny Robinson and is used by permission. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
Please use the Buttons below to SHARE our Recipe with your Friends!
It only takes a minute and they will love you for it!